If you need to have focused, private conversations with specific people on your team, create a private channel.
- In Teams, select “More options“, the three dots next to a team, then Add channel.
- Type a name and description.
- Under Privacy, select the dropdown and choose Private – Specific teammates have access.
- Then select Create. Type in names to invite people, including guests.
- Note that people must already be members or guests of the team to be added to a private channel.
- When finished select Add.
- Change anyone’s role, if needed.
- Then select Done.
- People you’ve added will know it’s a private channel because a lock appears next to the name. And they can start using it right away.
- Need to meet with just this set of people?
- Select Meet to connect with them.
- Open the pane to: add new members, see the current members, and add view channel updates.
- Files in a private channel are viewable and accessible only to the channel members. These files live in a separate SharePoint site, away from the standard channels in the team.